Friday, February 12, 2010

A day in my life!

So since the last time I wrote y'all I ahve been getting more and more used to things here in Mali.  I have a set routine: I wake up around 6:30 in the morning and get dressed, brush my teeth, wash my face and if I am brave enough go to the bathroom.  Then I say good morning and good bye to my host mother and walk to the place where the bus picks us up and take us to school. One morning I forgot at least three things, and another morning I go flicked off while crossing the street!! I laughed because I didn't really expect to get flicked off in Mali!! Then we get to school and eat breakfast which is bread with some kind of laughing cow cheese, jam and butter.  Also I drink Lipton Yellow Label Tea which is so good! I guess I am just a tea snob in the states and so I never looked at Lipton, but it is now definitely one of my favorites. Then as we eat breakfast we listen to history lectures, or Field Study Seminar lectures, or have a Bambara lesson. Then we eat lunch! Lunch is exciting because it is always different.  Though the base is usually rice, the sauce is different.  The sides are usually these tiny flavorful meatballs and plantains.  And some days we even get black-eyed-peas!!!  We drink a lot of water because there is no air conditioning and it is the same temperature as South Texas in August.  We eat lunch on a terrace on the roof, because it is cooler and cool.  Then we go back down and have French class.  French has been fun because all we do is talk about our families and what we do with them in french.  After classes have finished this week we have been going to different places in Bamako. Monday we went to a market type place called Le Artisana; Tuesday we went to Le Musée National and saw a bunch of artifacts from Mali's past.  Then Wednesday we went to the French cultural center and looked around the library.  When I get home I usually try and do some homework, the past few days I have been going on the roof for that because not many people go up there during the day.  Then I go down and hang out with my family.  For dinner they usually bring me a plate of whatever they decided I should eat with a spoon, and I eat wherever I am.  Then I hang around a bit then take a bath. I have told y'all about my bathing experiences, but I am getting better with the roaches.  You just have to make a load enough sound with a big enough movement close enough to them... yeah... This trip will definitely make me a stronger person in that respect!!! Then I change in my bedroom and go up on the roof, read a little, say Compline and then stare at the stares until I go to sleep.  It's kind of awesome!!  Well that is all I have time for right now! Remember if you have any questions ask and I will answer them!!
~Thaddeus

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I love reading your posts....so interesting. Hope to hear more poop stories ;-) haha Miss you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you! Sounds like you're having a good time =)

    ReplyDelete