Saturday, January 9, 2010

Set-Backs and Grandmother's

So the company that I booked my flights with called me the other day telling me that one of the airlines had canceled the last flight of my trip so I and my Stepmom spent a whole day on the phone with the booking company trying to get it straightened out for the same amount of money or close to it. Well we thought we had I would be spending a day in a hotel in Dakar and arrive in Bamako a day late, but still early enough in the day to stay get connected with the group. I received an e-mail with my itinerary, but it included the flight that my booking company had told me was canceled. So I looked up on the Airlines website what flights were flying that day between Dakar and Bamako... there is only one and it has a connection in Togo... which is on the eastern part of the southern coast of west Africa. SO tomorrow we are going to call the booking company and see what the deal is!!

On some good notes, my Grandmother has sent me ahuge map of South Africa which of course includes Mali! and she and my Aunt are buying me a skirt and a blouse for use in Mali! My family is being very supportive of my trip especially in the preparation stages!!!

I am getting more and more nervous as my departure date approaches. So to take my mind off of it I am watching all the Star Trek movies in order! It is super fun and also an interesting look at colonialism, and therefore privilege and oppression!!! My trip to the Austin/Georgetown area will help in that also. I am going up to get Malaria pills, antibiotics and bug sprays and creams. Also to talk to some of my professors and visit with all of my friends that I miss so much!!!

That is all for now!
~Thaddeus

No comments:

Post a Comment